- This event has passed.
ADDIFICATION – Adding Homes Without Displacing People
September 23 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm PDT
AIA|LA Design For Dignity Roundtable:
ADDIFICATION – Adding homes to the housing crisis without displacing people that need them most
As a follow-up to our 5th annual “Design for Dignity” conference, we’re organizing a series of roundtables to further advance the various initiates introduced during our break-out discussions.
This roundtable will serve as a forum to further explore the topic outlined below and identify pro-active next-steps to implement ideas on how we can best address our housing crisis.
Given our current housing and homelessness crisis, it has triggered furious efforts to create housing from urban infill to ADU’s to homeless shelters. However, from an urban standpoint, we must work in concert with other developments to fortify the neighborhood and increase its resources. Development and Architect teams have the responsibility to not just add homes but ensure that these homes have food, jobs, and amenities within reach that are needed to help people thrive.
- What tools do development/design teams have to encourage and increase affordable housing in a prime real state adjacent to light rail such as the expo line?
- Can Los Angeles leverage opportunity zones to benefit developments that carry a high percentage of affordable housing to 100% affordable housing?
- How can affordable housing create jobs in neighborhoods that are below the AMI?
- Can affordable housing developments become hubs for a neighborhood that can offer commercial mix-use?
- How can we reverse the effect of food deserts in affordable housing areas?