- This event has passed.
Planning for Changing Delivery Models
November 12 @ 7:30 am - 9:30 am PSTFree – $10
AIA|LA Practice Committee Presents….
Planning for Changing Delivery Models: Developing a More Collaborative Approach to Project Documentation
Since we are currently reassessing roles in the design and construction industry, we recognize it is time to develop a more collaborative approach to project delivery.
Even as Architects and Contractors Fees continue to become more competitive, the amount of documentation required to complete a project has steadily increased over the last three decades. This round table will begin a discussion to address this and discuss possible approaches to increase collaboration and reliance between designers, contractors, and craftsmen, to make the process more efficient and cost-effective resulting in better outcomes for our clients.
We will focus on positive experiences and lessons learned, as well as, issues that arise and how do we solve them. Since we are all in this together, this discussion will be an inclusive, open-ideas format.
Common issues we see:
• Design resolution required far earlier in phases
• Communication divides between how builders control cost and how architects develop a design.
• How much documentation is enough vs. how much is required for approval agencies
• The workload is front-loaded in DD phase, but then continues at a high traditional level of work through CA
• Lack of stakeholders on DB team in design decisions (architects have to let go a bit)
• AHJs and OSFM challenges
• More delegated design to trades
• More design-assist, more trade involvement earlier
• Change the way alternative delivery CA is done
• Allow more participation in design decisions by a larger team-
• Increased reliance/trust on the expertise and design capabilities of trades.
Jeremy Judd, CCM, DBIA – Senior Project Manager, Kitchell CEM
Dana Wiehe – Project Manager, PCL Construction Services
Warren Jacobs, AIA – Interim Director of Architecture/Deputy Building Official, Capital Planning, Design and Construction, Office of the Chancellor, California State University
Image: 6th Street Viaduct. Detail of a rendering by Michael Maltzan Architects.