Bradbury Building

Built for mining tycoon Lewis Bradbury, the 1893 building is a National Register Landmark, and one of the most significant existing structures in Los Angeles’ architectural heritage.


Designed by George Wyman, this Chicago-style sandstone and terra cotta-clad building is noted for its atrium skylight, which spans the entire five stories, and open-cage elevators. Likely the most photographed structure in the city, it has been the location of many movies, including Bladerunner, Ridley Scott’s cult science-fiction film.


Over the years, the building fell into disrepair, the skylight became encrusted with dirt, the light-oak ceilings and marble floor took on a dark patina, and the distinctive wrought-iron handrails and elevator cabs were in need of restoration. Developer Ira Yellin, an urbanist and owner of the adjacent Grand Central Market, also renovated by the firm, purchased the building in 1989. He committed to restoring and reopening the building in time for its centennial anniversary.


Exterior, street-level improvements have included the redefinition of a storage area into a rear entrance portico which connects the atrium lobby to an adjacent urban park and parking structure. Ground-floor retail storefronts have been redesigned to accommodate a variety of tenants, while remaining compatible with the historic facade. This has included the reconstruction of the cornice and portals to match the deteriorated original sandstone, and the creation of a color-integral storefront composed of stucco, black aluminum and glass with glazed, back-lit signage panels.


When completed, the renewed and cherished Bradbury Building, located at a strategic intersection on Los Angeles’ Broadway, symbolized hope for regeneration of the city’s vital urban core.
Levin & Associates


Last updated: 13-Aug-2013 01:50 PM
Share